International News

Eight-week-old boy dies in crib after hospital sent him home twice just days before


An eight-week-old baby boy has tragically died after being sent home from hospital twice just days before his death.

Tommy Ivor Hayes’s grieving parents Liam, 21, and Anya, 19, said the baby had been rushed to Torbay Hospital in Devon on two occasions before he didn’t wake up on Sunday, November 21.

Tommy had been wheezing and struggling to breath but was sent home after he fell asleep.

Anya’s mum and a nurse neighbour desperately tried to save Tommy on the Sunday with CPR, but sadly their efforts were in vain, reports Devon Live.

Liam said: “He was taken into hospital by paramedics twice and the hospital sent him home both times when he fell asleep.

“He wasn’t given any medication, or an inhaler or oxygen – all we had was just a leaflet.”

Hayley Baker, the nurse who attempted to resuscitate Tommy before paramedics arrived, described the incident as “the most brutal, horrible situation”.



Eight-week-old boy dies in crib after hospital sent him home twice just days before
Liam and Anya twice called 111 when Tommy was struggling to breath

Hayley set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the baby’s funeral. Almost £5,000 has already been donated.

She added: “They are such a young family and everybody knows them and the response has been fantastic… the whole community has rallied around to try to help them.”

The couple, who also have a 16-month-old daughter called Bonnie, said Tommy was born at a healthy 6lb 13oz.

He began to get ill with a cold the week before he died and they had phoned 111 twice when he was struggling to breathe.

On Monday, November 15, Tommy was rushed into Torbay Hospital by paramedics.

Liam said: “The paediatrician diagnosed him with bronchiolitis and said luckily we had caught it early enough. Because Tommy fell asleep they sent Anya and him back home. But they promised us that if it got worse they would give him oxygen.”

On Thursday, November 18, Tommy got worse. Anya sent a video of him to Liam and the couple decided to ring 111 again.

Again the paramedics decided Tommy needed hospital care and took him in with Anya, but the baby fell asleep as the ambulance was queuing outside A&E.



Tommy began to get ill with a cold the week before he died
Tommy began to get ill with a cold the week before he died

“Because he was asleep his breathing wasn’t as quick as when he was awake and Anya showed them the video of what it was like. But they sent him home in the early hours of the morning,” Liam explained.

On Sunday morning Tommy had woken up at about 8am, had a bottle and went back to sleep. Liam was out and a cousin was staying to look after Bonnie so that Anya could go back to sleep.

Liam continued: “Then at about 11.30am Anya woke up by instinct and found Tommy dead in his crib. She panicked and grabbed him and lay him on the bed and rang her mum. She didn’t know what to do and was rubbing his tummy.

“They rang me and I could hear the paramedics giving him CPR.

“Then they took the phone and told me that they were so sorry… and there was nothing more they could do.

“We have been asked questions left, right and centre by the police who want answers as much as we do, but we have not heard anything from the hospital or had an apology.”

People can donate to the GoFundMe here.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.