International News

Rebekah Vardy’s ex-husband denies forcing her into Peter Andre ‘chipolata’ chat


On the first day of the Wagatha Christie libel trial Rebekah Vardy was asked about an interview with the News of the World in 2004 where she made disparaging comments about Peter Andre’s manhood

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Rebekah Vardy arrives at high court for Wagatha trial

The ex-husband of Rebekah Vardy has strenuously denied allegations of coercing her to speak about her one-night stand with Peter Andre.

On the first day of the Wagatha Christie libel trial, Vardy, 40, was quizzed about an interview she gave where she disparaged Peter Andre’s manhood and referred to it as a ‘chipolata’.

Vardy, under cross-examination from Coleen Rooney’s barrister David Sherborne, said she had been coerced into the ‘kiss-and-tell’ interview with the News of the World by her ex-husband.

She said she was “forced into a situation” by Steve Clarke, before later adding she “was in a terrible, terrible relationship. The consequences of not doing something were far worse than doing it.”







Rebekah Vardy’s ex-husband Steve Clarke has vowed to clear his name and challenge her courtroom assertion
(

Image:

ENTERPRISE NEWS AND PICTURES)

However in an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Mr Clarke has vowed to clear his name and challenged Vardy’s courtroom assertion that he was an abusive partner and forced her to do the interview.

Clarke had just hired Vardy at his Oxfordshire timeshare firm when the one-night stand with the Mysterious Girl pop star happened.

Clarke told the Mail: “Rebekah was chatty, fun and pretty, but I didn’t know much more until everyone started talking about her spending the night with Peter.

“She had told colleagues and it became the talk of the office, Within a week of it happening, everybody knew what had happened. She could not keep it quiet.”







An interview with the News of the World in 2004 led to Vardy saying disparaging comments about Peter Andre
(

Image:

Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)







Wayne Rooney has been supporting wife Coleen throughout the libel trial
(

Image:

James Linsell-Clark / SWNS)

He started dating Vardy in 2001, while she was separated from her first husband, and they got married in 2005 but it only lasted a year before splitting up.

Regarding the kiss-and-tell story, Clarke says that Rebekah spotted an appeal for stories on ITV’s I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here, which the Australian singer was signed up for.

When questioning her motives for the article by her partner, she allegedly replied “it would be a bit of money” for her and “it would be funny”.

Clarke alleges that his only involvement with the interview was to drop Vardy to a south-west London studio and pick her up once finished.

Vardy also made the claims of Clarke’s abuse and coerciveness during a 2017 interview with The Sun on Sunday.







An artist’s impression of Rebekah Vardy in court
(

Image:

Julia Quenzler / SWNS)

Clarke complained to the Independent Press Standards Organisation, which was upheld. The 57-year-old also insists he “never raised a hand” to Vardy during their relationship.

“I was never abusive towards Becky, I was never controlling,” he said. “She did what she wanted, when she wanted and I never raised a hand to her either.

“The false claims against me have been upsetting me, my family and friends.”

Vardy, who was eight months pregnant with another man’s child when she married Clarke, is said to have pushed for a more lavish lifestyle during their relationship and wanted to move to London before it broke down in January 2006.

He added: “I fell out of love with her and I knew it was over. I felt like I was being used for my money. I felt like I was the pay cheque.”

The so-called Wagatha Christie trial is due to Vardy’s legal action after Rooney, 36, accused her of leaking private stories about her to The Sun newspaper.

Rooney went public with her allegations in a bombshell tweet in October 2019 where she claimed to have carried out a months-long ‘sting-operation’ using her personal Instagram.

The trial ended on Friday and a judgement is expected in the summer.

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at webcelebs@mirror.co.uk or call us direct 0207 29 33033.

Read More

Read More





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.